Monday, October 02, 2006

Hitting The Gibson Brakes

I've mentioned on this weblog a few times that William Gibson is my current favorite author. You have to realize that my upbringing included most of the Sci-Fi greats:(In no particular order) Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein, Bradbury, Huxley (Aldous), and now Gibson. I read and forgot most of Neuromancer, 20 plus years ago. I picked up Pattern Recognition maybe three years ago and was hooked. I guess I wasn't the only one, the movie will be out shortly, directed by Peter Weir.

His descriptive vision of computing functions gets me every time. Those qualities, subdued in PR (above) came to full bloom in his trilogy IDORU, VIRTUAL LIGHT, and ALL TOMORROW'S PARIIES. In the tradition of Star Wars I read them backwards.

I'm 2/3's through Idoru and I've hit the brakes.

It happened with Virtual Light too. I just get to a point where I don't want the story to end. I like this realm Gibson has created, and I want to stay a while. Just a bit longer.

Good story tellers can do that to you.

Gibson is one of them.

No comments: